Saturday, August 16, 2014

Trip Down Memory Lane

    Today I went to the supermarket. Not a large trip, I try to keep my purchases to one bag. We have been out of grated Pecorino Romano cheese for a while now. This is my go-to cheese for everything. I grew up eating it.


   My dad would buy a big hunk of it, and grate it himself. It stinks to high heaven, which is why my brother and I called it Stink Cheese. One of my favorite memories is dad slicing off a slim hunk for me to eat. It was God-awful at first, but your mouth gets used to it. I still love this cheese.


    After my dad passed, I was in our local Grand Union and had picked up a container of grated Romano. As I stood at the Deli counter waiting, I opened the container and sniffed it. It brought back such strong memories, I started to cry. Right there in the store. It's amazing how your sense of smell can bring back memories.


    I use Pecorino Romano quite a bit in my cooking. I put it in soups, in rice pilaf, even in my Spanish rice. I have been known to sprinkle some lightly on my salad.


    If I am repeating myself in subject matter, I apologize. Some things bear repeating. And for me, this is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment