Friday, September 20, 2013

The beginning...

    Today I decided was a good day to start the booties from yesterdays post. They are from Bonita Designs, by the way. I found some suitable yarn in my stash, and dug out my size D, 3.25 mm crochet hook.


    At that point I had my first doubts. This hook is so very tiny. I might need a microscope just to see what I'm doing with it. At the very least, a magnifying glass. Here is a photo I took, with the hook next to a dime:



    Do you feel my pain? Now here is a photo of that same dime, next to the size hook I prefer, and usually use:



     So far, I have struggled through 8 rows of the sole of one bootie. It is less than one inch long. Why is it that the tiny things get me every time? I may have to wait until this kid is a teenager with size 13 feet before I make him any booties.


    I am getting discouraged, but will persevere. At least for now. I just want to know if I can do it. It could be the yarn I chose isn't the best for the job. I found some Patons Stretch Sock, in the colorway Mineral. It's mostly blue. I thought it might be a good idea to make stretchy booties. It turns out that stretchy yarn is a bit difficult to work with. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment