Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A sad comparison

   This has been on my mind for a while now. I am still not sure how to go about explaining it to you. I have seen, as have we all, the videos of the soldiers returning to their families. The tears, the joy, the surprise of it all. I have no desire to take anything away from that. These Americans deserve to be celebrated.


    However,  I have gradually come to compare these homecomings to the ones that our Viet Nam era veterans had received. Those brave souls were just as deserving of our country's recognition. Instead many of them were spat on, and called names like "baby killer". It seems to me that those soldiers felt that they had to hide the fact that they had served in the military at all.


    It seems to me as if those soldiers homecomings were kept secret, almost like they were snuck in the back door. I'm sure their families were just as glad to have them home, but it was not done in public. And that wasn't fair. Granted, I was still in high school when the war ended, and never personally knew anyone who served in the military at that time.


    It just seems so sad to me. That's all I wanted to say. If anyone in your family served our country's military during that era, please thank them. And once for me. And if you agree with me, share this post. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment