Sunday, February 2, 2014

Laundry Sauce update

   Last year, I made my own laundry detergent from a recipe I found online. I have recently seen the link again on facebook. I thought it was time to tell my experiences with it.

    The first batch I made was the only one that blended properly. I was pleased as punch because it had a mayonnaise like consistency, just as explained in the recipe. The rest of the jars didn't blend completely, there were two layers. It did still work, however. The other two jars I gave away. I used my jar of Laundry Sauce all up, using one tablespoon per load, just as directed.

    It worked well, just as they said it would. That being said, I did have some problems with it. It did not remove stains, as stated. I tried it multiple times. My stains remained. I even rubbed it into the stain and left it overnight, and it still remained. My laundry did smell fresh and was clean, though.

    There was another problem with it. After long term use of the Sauce, my dryer stopped working. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I would set the timer for an hour and after an hour the clothes were still wet. Eventually I stayed down there while the dryer was running, only to find it was stopping after approximately 5 minutes.

    Upon close examination, the lint screen was completely clogged. Every hole was filled. I remove the lint after every load, and this was the first time this had ever happened to me. I ended up having to take the screen upstairs and soak it in a bucket to loosen the dried up gunk, then take a scrub brush to it to clean out the holes of the screen.

    In my opinion, the laundry sauce was the culprit. In the past, I had examined the screen and it had never been the least bit clogged. I have stopped using the laundry sauce regularly, and only use it once in a while now. Those who use public laundry facilities will have better luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment