Friday, July 29, 2011

Indigo Pi Shawl, Adventures with Double Points!

   I realized I never recorded the end result of the Pi shawl blocking... I am very pleased with how it came out! The whole blocking process fascinates me, the amazing way the stitches set and stay exactly where you put them! Most interesting. It is so pretty, I can't wait to wear it! It's color is indigo, so I can and will wear it with jeans!
   I enjoyed making that shawl so much that I started another one as soon as I was done with the first! However, I do have a confession to make. Double pointed needles still defy me using them; I tried at least five times to start the shawl on them. Then I got clever! I devised a way to start the shawl by knitting back and forth, then when it's large enough, joining it to work in the round. When it's even larger, I go back and, using the tail, weave it thru the first row and gather it tightly, then sew a small seam up to where it was joined. It worked for me!
   Now those darned double points! I have tried for a long time to use them. I swear I need a third  hand to hold onto them, especially the metal ones! I would get started, and still feeling awkward, but beginning to make some progress. The next thing I know, I hear a metallic "CLINK" as the one in the back slides out of its stitches and hits the floor! To say it's frustrating is a complete understatement.
   However, I have had positive experiences with the little buggers as well. I made a hat with wool left over from a sweater, and it calls for dps to finish it off. With great trepidation, I moved the stitches from circular needle to the dps, and began the ending of the hat. IT WORKED! I had no problems, and decided right away to make another hat! It worked again! So I have decided I can end a project with them, but not start one.
   When I took my latest sweater (and the hat)to show the ladies at the Spinning Group, they were laughing because I was so proud of the stupid hat, when I had made this totally awesome sweater, with knitted-in pockets, shaping, and an pleat in the back! I explained my battles with the dps, and they agreed that indeed, they are difficult to master, but if I don't give up, I can be successful! Somehow, I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment