Thursday, July 18, 2013

In which records are set, then broken

    This has been one hell of a summer. We set a record for pool temp last week, when the water reached 83 degrees. You need to understand that our pool has NEVER gotten that warm. In fact it's famous for being cold all summer.


    For most of the years we've lived here, our pool was only in full sun for maybe 5 or 6 hours a day, from around 10 am to 4 pm, maximum. We have a wooded lot on one side, and the trees block the afternoon sun. We petitioned the owner of the property to cut down some of the trees, and they agreed. We got a little more sun, a little later in the day.


    Last year, we got more time when the trees blocking the morning sun had to come down. Super Storm Sandy undermined the trees roots, and they  started leaning pretty badly. Taking those two trees down seems to have really helped our pool sun time.


    Until this year, the warmest our pool ever got was 82 degrees. it usually hovered around 76 or 78. It only got warmer if it was really hot out and didn't cool off at night. Well, since taking the trees extended our morning sun, we hit the previously mentioned 83 last week. Then rained some and the temp cooled off to 78. but we were soon back up to 82, then 83. And then yesterday, we hit a new high of 84!!


    Unfortunately, I preferred the pool cooler. I swim to cool off, not to feel like I'm in a bathtub. Anyway, it was a proud moment. If you'll excuse me, it's time to put my suit on and go down to the pool. I'll be taking my nook, as well as my knitting and crocheting projects. I like to mix it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment