Thursday, July 11, 2013

Maiden, Mother, Crone and Other Thoughts

    All women go through these three phases of our lives. Maiden means youth, inexperience, naivete. The joys of discovering the world, falling in love, and eventually becoming an adult.


    Motherhood is perhaps the most challenging of the phases. It certainly lasts the longest, at least it did for me. Being a mom is the best and hardest job we can ever do. To teach your children what they need to know about the world, without sheltering them from it too much. They have to experience some things for themselves. We can't keep them protected, but we make sure we are close enough to pick them up when they fall, kiss their boo boos and tell them it's all gonna be OK. And even then, they need the space to grow into themselves. It's all about balance.


    I knew when my youngest moved out just over a year ago that my time as an active mother was at an end. We raised him well, with good values, and he has one hell of a work ethic. We let him loose on the world, and he seems to be thriving.


    But I was in denial about becoming a Crone. It suddenly dawned on me yesterday as I was at the Police station that the young officer I was speaking to probably viewed me as  < gasp >  a senior citizen..... after all, I'm nearly 60 now. And about to be a grandmother for the third time.


    That was a hard realization. I mean, I always had a hard time being taken seriously or even heard, but now I think it's going to get worse.  I just don't see myself as "old" or even "older".


    On another front, however, I have great news! It has been officially confirmed that my new grandbaby will be a boy!! No need to trim anything in pink that's already finished. I can't wait to go shopping for masculine colored yarn!!


   I'm making slow progress on the hand/arm warmers. It was so humid yesterday it felt like I was breathing water when I went outside. The air was very heavy. No wonder I got so tired. It sucks getting exhausted just from the effort to breathe.

   


   

No comments:

Post a Comment