Monday, September 10, 2012

Bits and Pieces

    Just typing the title for this reminded me of a true story that happened to me. I was in high school, and one summer I went to visit my aunt Diane in Florida. I actually got lost after I got off the plane. I got in the wrong vehicle, not the one my aunt sent to get me. I got to see a lot of towns around the area where my aunt lived.


   I finally found my way to aunt Diane's house, and she was very relieved. But that isn't what I really thought about. It kind of leads up to it. My uncle had found a small stray dog, and they had adopted her, telling themselves that she was for me. They named her L'il Bit, as she was, as my uncle said in his heavy southern accent, "Just a l'il bit of a thang."


   She was so adorable, we fell in love with each other immediately. As far as we could tell, she was a Chihuahua. She slept with me and everything. Unfortunately, when it came time to go home, my parents wouldn't let me bring L'il Bit home with me. I was heart broken.


   So L'il Bit had to stay in Florida. She lived another couple of years, until my aunt and uncle's dog had his way with her. This dog was really huge. He looked like a giant size Rottie, only on Dachshund size legs. His name was Sam, I remember. Sam had to weigh at least 80 lbs. And he got my tiny L'il Bit pregnant. I heard that she died giving birth to his puppies. I am surprised she was even able to carry them to term.


   I don't even have a photo to remember her. I just have my memories of that summer. I had intended to write a piece today that contained bits and pieces of different things, but got sidetracked. I'll save that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment