Friday, March 1, 2013

making progress

    Well, once the correct size borrowed needle was delivered, I finally got to start casting on all those stitches. After 150, I needed to stop and make lunch, or I would've starved to death. After lunch, I carried on.


    I decided to place a stitch marker every 50 stitches, and double or triple count each section before moving on to the next. I even counted all the stitches again, while doing the first row. It was K1 P1 ribbing, and the first of three rows. Only one section had the wrong stitch count, there were 51 stitches in there. When I got the end of that section, I just K2tog. And that took care of that.



    I knit my way through almost the whole three rows of ribbing, before going to visit Kim and Cherub at Karate late in the afternoon. By evening, my yarn holding finger started to hurt. I am not used to using sock weight yarn. By bedtime I had close to an inch of knitting done on this sweater.



 
    I started with doing the first two rows of ribbing back and forth, rather than in the round. I'm just not comfortable joining the two ends together right away. I usually do two or three rows, then join and continue in the round. Then later I use the yarn tail from the cast on to stitch up the short seam. It works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment