Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hurricane and Crafting Report

   Today, as yesterday, the sun is shining, and it's gorgeous outside. I looked at the creek through the bathroom window, and the water has gone down a lot! You can see the grass under the water, not like yesterday when the whole thing looked like a raging river. The island of trees in the middle were actually on the close bank of the creek. I will try and get out later for some post high-water photos.

   Hubs and I traveled to the house in Fishkill yesterday, to check on flooding there. We had had a call from the neighbor across the street, she was very upset that her basement was flooding, the water was coming in through the walls!  When we got there she came out and we talked. She told us that there was a literal river running in the yard, from west to east, towards route 9, through the side yard, and across the front of the house. We went inside. Hubs checked out the basement. There was hardly any water! There were signs that there had been water, possibly several inches, but the sump pump had taken care of it. All that was left was a few puddles in low spots in the floor. It is a really good thing that the basement had already been cleaned out! Even the furnace is gone. So that was a load off of Hubs' mind.

   There is still a lot of flooding around here, Staatsburg is horrendously flooded! I was looking at photos on facebook last night. I know route 9G was closed in places, we couldn't get pizza from our favorite pizza parlor last night! They are right in the middle of a shut down section!

   All in all, we were tremendously lucky, and we know it. My daughter still hasn't returned to work, her school still has no power. Son's girlfriends parents whole town still has no power. It could be next week for them! We lost power for about two minutes, at 7:10 pm Sunday evening. It came right back on. And it did flicker off and on for a little while before that. But that's it!  

   Now on to crafty things. I'm working on what I'm calling the hurricane afghan for friend Gordie in Texas. He wants it six feet long! It might be a little longer than that, at least until I wash it. After that, it might be either longer, or shorter! I will measure it before I send it to him. I am also still working on my shawl, but I will admit to being distracted by the afghan. And I'm looking forward to what's next. Hopefully I will be receiving a shawl kit for a gift soon... That one, I'm really looking forward to! It will certainly be a challenge. And what is life, but a series of challenges?
  




No comments:

Post a Comment