Friday, August 12, 2011

Closet cleaning

   I have a lot of thoughts running rampant in my mind tonight. Today was the first time I've been to the house in Fishkill by myself since we moved back home. It was weird being there. Usually Hubs is with me, but he's doing stuff outside. So I'm in the house alone. But today, I knew he wasn't outside, and it disturbed me more than I thought it would.
   My assignment was to clean out the coat closet in the living room, in preparation for some work being done in the house on Sunday. I successfully completed my mission. I sorted through the coats; keeping mine, putting hers in a bag for donation. Then I had to clean off the shelves in the closet.This proved a bit easier. There were games stacked up, but nothing really worth keeping, like checkers, Monopoly, and Scrabble. I did keep the letter tiles from Scrabble for my mom, who plays regularly. I thought she could use them, and I was right! The friend she plays Scrabble with is going blind, and on mom's current tiles, the letters are wearing off. So she was happy to receive the ones from the closet.
   Tucked at the back of one shelf, I found some treasures! Three editions of Trivial Pursuit, and an accessory set of cards! I have no use for them, since Hubs won't play with me any more... Ever since I knew that the names of the Katzenjammer Kids were Hans and Fritz. But I didn't want to throw them away. I sent Sara a text, asking her if she wanted them. She answered "Yes", so I packed them in the Jeep for the ride home.
   I also brought home a box of old photos. We have no idea who these people are, but an old friend of Betty's will know. They grew up together in Rhinebeck. I just have to get them to her. All in all, I about half filled up the garbage can, throwing out all kinds of useless things, and things no one else would want. I'm getting over the guilt, and it makes me a little sad.
   At the lunch after her memorial service, we were supposed to tell Betty stories. I had some ready, but it never happened. So I will tell you one now.
   My mom had a friend who lived up the street from her. This friend got a job at the postal facility where Betty worked. After she had been there a while, she and my mom were talking, and it was mentioned that my mother-in-law worked where Lynn did, and one thing lead to another. Lynn was shocked that I was married to Betty's son. All she could say was "Oh, that poor girl!" So Betty had quite a reputation as a bitch! When we were staying with her before she passed, I told her the story, but wouldn't tell her who said it. She laughed!! She thought it was really funny...
   Lastly, I will close with the fact that I brought my knitting with me, but didn't get to knit today. Just so you know, I usually have either my knitting, or my nook with me whenever I go anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment