Friday, August 5, 2011

Pondering while knitting

    I was sitting here on my couch, knitting, and you know how your mind just wanders aimlessly while you knit? Well, yours might, but I am busy counting the stitches of my knitted on border. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ! Then back again to 9, and k2tog. When I don't count, I somehow end up with more than 10 stitches... so I count.
   Anyway. I manage to get in some thinking while I'm counting. I wonder what I shall blog about today. Shall I tell the promised story of how I met the man of my dreams and how we got together? Should I bare my soul, once more, but this time about Living with Sarcoidosis? (Go ahead, google it, I'll still be here.)
   Nah, I think I'll just talk about how good it feels to knit. The softness of the yarn sliding thru my fingers. The pleasure I get from choosing a wonderful yarn from a whole wall of gorgeous yarns. The ecstasy I feel as I run my fingers thru my stash, recalling where I found each skein. Mmmmm and the smells! Yummy. I must give thanks to my friend Kim H. who introduced me to smelling my natural fibers. Which makes me think of my other friend Bonny, who goes "Eeewwww, do you know how many people have touched that?" We just laugh.
   When I make my favorite crocheted afghan pattern, I only have to count the stitches every 5th row or so. It can be very freeing. That's when I really have time to let my mind wander.
   How about you guys leave me a comment, tell me where your mind goes when you knit or crochet? It will help me not feel like no-one is out there. And I promise, at some point in the future I will talk about those other topics I mentioned.

1 comment:

  1. When I knit, I tend to lose track of what I'm knitting. I become so engrossed in the repetitiveness of the activity, the smell of the fiber and the feel of yarn as well as the music of the needles clicking together that I forget what I'm actually doing (Is it k1, p1, k2tog or...?). I sometimes doze off and if this happens, I best switch to spinning, which keeps me awake and alert.

    ReplyDelete