Sunday, March 4, 2012

I Am Curious, What Happens When.....

   Two people fall madly in love, and decide to get married. For reasons of their own, the decide to hyphenate their two names. I have no idea if this is a cultural thing, more prevalent in some parts of the world than others. I have been watching a lot of British mysteries lately, for instance, and many of the upper class characters have hyphenated last names.

   Anyway, these people have children, who then grow up and fall in love with people who also have hyphenated last names. What happens then? Does their last name become a hugely-long-four-part hyphenated monstrosity? Does anyone know the protocol on this? I am aware that it would be the decision of the two persons getting married, but seriously, why would anyone do it? And where would it end? And that doesn't even get into whose name goes first in the hyphenating!

   I have heard that there are some men who take their new wives last names. I even attended a wedding many years ago in which the groom had a horrendously long multi-syllabic eastern European last name, and upon his marriage, took his wife's nice, short, relatively normal last name.

  This is but one of the questions burning in my mind. And to answer your unasked question, no, I didn't get any knitting done yesterday. I attended a Pampered Chef party, and got to see my brother, his wife, their son, and my daughter-in-law and granddaughter, as well as my daughter and son-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment