Thursday, March 1, 2012

And Another Thing.....

  As I was babysitting today, and my young charge was napping, I was channel surfing. On one channel was Burn Notice, a show that I like, but I've seen most of them. I pushed the button again, so I could see what the episode was about. And there it was. The episode was about a man who was set up for stealing a million dollar broach.

  I freaked out. These people are paid lots of money, and they still can't get this stuff right? A piece of jewelry is a BROOCH. Not a broach. That is a totally different word! And this really annoys me because even spellcheck doesn't catch it, because it's not spelled wrong. It's the totally wrong word to begin with.

   I have even seen a commercial on TV with the wrong word used! It was for a paint roller thing, and according to the advertisement, it came with a POLL. Seriously! For reaching high up, like a ceiling. Someone needs to get me a job as a proofreader!!

   I seriously considered emailing to the address given in the ad, and pointing out the error. But since my previous efforts hadn't worked out at all, I decided to forgive and forget. At least I get to vent my frustrations here!

2 comments:

  1. I had this conversation about broach/brooch with someone on Twitter a few weeks ago. I think broach is an accepted spelling for brooch.

    But poll/pole, you're absolutely right. Correct spelling seems to be a dying art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! My parents were both teachers. I guess some of it rubbed off.

    ReplyDelete