Monday, March 12, 2012

Watching Old George Carlin Specials

    Hubs and I were bored this afternoon, so we decided to go through the movies on Netflix, and see if there were any new ones that appealed to us. We started watching a Steven Seagal flick from 2009, in which he affects a really bad Russian accent. We could stand it for about half an hour.

   We then went through the comedy section, looking for George Carlin specials. Hubs  left me for a little while, and I used the search fuction, and entered "george carlin". It turns out that there are currently thirteen, yes thirteen, George Carlin specials currently available. I went through them all, and put four or five of the oldest ones in our Instant Queue.

   I started watching the oldest one, from 1977, which was his very first HBO special. It contained the famous "7 Words You Can't Say on TV". Hubs came back into the room while it was on, still pretty much at the beginning, and we watched it together. I was highly amused that before the show, they felt the need to tape a woman introducing it, who felt it necessary to warn viewers of the segment of the show about these words.

   It turns out that 35 years later, these 7 words are really not that bad. In fact, there is only one on his list that most women still find offensive. Hubs and I enjoyed Mr. Carlin's word play, and were amazed that the segment required a warning. Compared to his later specials, this first one was pretty darn tame.

   I do plan to watch all his specials, in broadcast order. It may take me a while to work through all 13, especially since I am only in season 5 out of at least 12 of Midsomer Murders. I do adore Mr. Carlin, and find most of his commentary absolutely hysterical. I love that he feels his job was to point out the stupid shit that we overlook.

   He really was a genius, and I miss him. I hope his specials will be available to all for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment