Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Today I am in a Quandry...

   Today, when I got home from babysitting Miss Malia, I logged onto facebook, and there was a friend request waiting for me. It was from an old, really old, boyfriend. I accepted, I'm still not sure why. I dated this guy before I married my first husband. So, it's been like 32 or 33 years.


   This whole thing brings back memories for me. We used to go out drinking with friends, and he would tell me that he was out of money, and take me home. Much, much later, I found out that he would go back to the bar and continue drinking after taking me home.


    Another memory - He always had a beard. One night he got drunk and shaved it off. Until it grew back, I felt like I was cheating on him. He looked that different without it! We were dating on Christmas that year. It snowed a huge storm, and he drove through it to Beacon, his parents were expecting us for mass at their church. Aaah,the memories.


   And one reader in particular may remember our trip up to some hunting cabin, in  upstate NY, where there was no heat, and she and I found Clint Eastwood in the outhouse. I believe she lost a mitten in that outhouse. A very memorable weekend that was! The snow was so deep, we had to abandon the truck on the road, and walk through 2+ feet of snow down the driveway to the cabin. We spent the whole weekend in the kitchen, wrapped in sleeping bags, with the stove as our only source of heat.


   Looking at his recent photos, he doesn't sport a beard now. I don't know if I would have recognised him if I ran into him on the street. He is still in Beacon, and I am waaay up here in Hyde Park. It's not likely we shall ever run across each other by accident. I am not sure how I feel about him. Obviously, it wasn't meant to last. I will tell Hubs about this in the morning, when he gets home. I can't wait to see what he thinks about all this!

  

  

2 comments:

  1. I often find it creepy when people from the deep past creep up like that. Do they _really_ want to reconnect or are they just nosy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that. Probably won't be going out of my way to make contact. You are right, it's too creepy.

    ReplyDelete