Tuesday, October 16, 2012

An Unexpected Surprise

    This morning, after sitting with Cherub, I went home and made some coffee, for I was due at my mom's by 10 a.m. Unfortunately, I was late. The reason I was going down there? Well, mom is moving from one apartment building to another one in her complex.


    This will be good for her. She is turning 80 years old in six days. She is having trouble with stairs; her current apartment has seven steps up to her place. The new one is a basement apartment, down only three or four steps. The best news? She'll be on the same floor as the laundry. She's downsizing from a two bedroom to a one bedroom. Even though this move is very stressful for her, it will be worth it in the long run.


    She called me last week, all freaking out. She needs help, organizing and packing up her stuff. I told her I would come and spend the whole weekend before the moving day, to help her finish up. Then she called again, a few days ago, all stressed out again. Since I am no longer babysitting in the middle of the day any more, I have the time to come and spend the day and help.


   So we arranged for me to come today. I finally got there by 10:30, I think. One of the things I had to do was cut the lock off of her storage area, she had locked the key inside it. I brought Hubs's big bolt cutters, and it worked! I didn't think I would be strong enough to actually cut the lock, but I did it!


    Once inside, we brought out some boxes to take to the local thrift store. I found two of my class pictures, from the sixties! I found my 5th and 6th grade pictures, of the whole class! Holy shit, I remember all these people, even though I haven't lived in Putnam Valley since 1969!


    Now that I'm home, I am going to look over the pictures a little closer, and remember those classmates. Ahhh, the good old days....

No comments:

Post a Comment