Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Frankenstorm Report

    Well, it seems that the worst of this hurricane has passed us. We were actually very very lucky. We only lost power very briefly, and just the once. Although Hubs tells me that his alarm clock was flashing again at 4 a.m., so that means it must have gone out again.


    It seems we have no horrendous damage. The creek in the back yard, that flooded so high with Irene, is hardly running hard. No flooding at all. It could be because we didn't have so much rain with this storm, as we did with Irene. This storm was mostly very high winds. I have seen photos of the riverfront in Poughkeepsie, where there was some flooding.


    None of our trees, or the trees in the wooded lot next door, are damaged. I consider that a blessing. I had left my deflated (and water puddled) pool mattress float in the yard; it didn't even blow away! However, Hubs had a hunting blind set up between the wooded lot and the pool fence, and it's nowhere to be found.  He set it up to air it out before he used it, and didn't take it down. It was staked to the ground with six stakes, he thought it would be safe enough. It seems he was wrong.


    Now I'm wondering if the supermarket is open, we need a couple of things. Maybe I'll go take a ride and see what damage there is around town. I am totally amazed that we still have power! We are usually the first ones to lose it.


    From the Weather Channel maps, it looks like the worst of it is over for us, the storm is south of us, and has moved further inland. I hope all my friends and blog readers in its path stay safe.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment