Monday, February 11, 2013

a strange coincidence? I think not

    For years, my pulmonologist has been telling me that I have Asthma, as well as the Sacroidosis. I have, all along, been rejecting this notion. At least until my last visit, this past fall.


    As usual, he mentioned Asthma. This time I lost my temper. I asked him why does he keeps telling me I have Asthma? How can he tell? This time, he took my hands, looked me right in the eye, and told me that Sarcoid patients don't wheeze. Well, that took the wind right out of my sails, and shut me right up. All I could say was "Oh."


    Almost as long as I've had Sacroid, I've wheezed. I thought it was just part of that disease. I have never even met another Sacroid patient. When I was first diagnosed, I scoured the internet, and never found anything about wheezing. I thought it was just how it was.


   Last week, when I went to that other doctor, I mentioned that I also have Asthma. It was the first time I mentioned it, ever. I've called it "coming out of the Asthma closet". The strange coincidence part? It was at that moment, that very moment, my wheezing subsided. Not completely, but significantly.


    It was as if my Asthma was content that I finally admitted that I have it. All these years the wheezing was just my Asthma trying to get my attention.  Well, it's got my attention now.


    Today I saw my primary doctor for a physical. He was very surprised that I wasn't wheezing. He listened to my lungs, then I told him the closet story. He laughed, but admitted that he had never heard my lungs sound so clear.


    Coincidence? I think not! If there are any Sarcoid patients out there reading this, please comment, I'd like to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment