I wanted a hat to go with my sweater, so I started one. I wanted a slouchy style, so I was going to begin with the Elizabeth Zimmermann model, and after making a wider ribbed band, increase a stitch every other stitch. Basically doubling my stitch count.
I made the wide ribbed band, and was into the third or fourth round after the increases when I decided that this wasn't what I wanted. What I wanted was a hat with a rolled brim, like the neck, sleeves and bottom of my sweater.
Remember, I'm making this up as I go along. So I frogged the first attempt. I got out my smaller 16", size 6 circular needle, and made a swatch. With that needle, my gauge was 5 stitches per inch, consistent across the whole four inches. So I started again, after measuring my head. I cast on 110 stitches, and began knitting. Here is where I'm at right now:
I am not really sure yet if it's going to fit me, but my hopes are high. It looks about right. I won't know for sure until it's long enough for me to try it on. Hopefully this project will keep me busy until this weekend, when I'm meeting my daughter to select a yarn for her sweater.
I should mention that I'm not really sure yet how long the hat will be before I begin the decreases, or even how I will do those increases. Some of you know me, and know that I prefer not to make plans most of the time. I have always found that if you make plans, something usually happens to frack it all up. Hence my vigorous attempts to live spontaneously.
However, there are some things that you just can't be spontaneous about, like doctor visits, and medical tests and the like. My greatest appreciation goes out to the lovely young lady who took my blood this morning, and made it darn near painless.