Sunday, February 3, 2013

so what's next?

     OK. I know what I want to do next, another fabulous sweater! To refresh the memory, it's the Simple Summer Tweed Top Down V-Neck by Heidi Kirrmaier. It's a free pattern on Ravelry.


    I adored making this sweater, as you all know! And the best part was no seams to sew! I adjusted mine, first by not making three decreases for the waist, and then increasing; but doing three increases instead. I know my body, and I don't like things clingy around my middle.


   Secondly, I added thumb holes to the sleeves. When I finished the sleeve decreases, it was the perfect length, so I bound off three stitches that lined up with my thumb, then went back and forth a few rows, then reconnected by casting the three stitches back on. Then I did a few more rounds so it would curl, and voila!


   I was so excited when I was finished, that I threw it right in the washer when I got home. I was going to trim out the thumb holes with crochet, so they would be a bit sturdier. I did it after laundering. The sweater made it out of the dryer intact! It shrank a teeny bit, but it's not a problem. I notice that there are some pills on it, but that just makes it look "not brand new". I will probably shave it when I get more batteries for my sweater shaver.


    I tried it on for Hubs last night, and he really likes it! He even said he would consider having me make one for him too! His would be the crew neck version. I spent over an hour this morning, looking at different yarns, and making a list for him to see, about the yarns, and how much it would cost for each choice.


    I started at Patternworks, and then decided I should do KnitPicks too, since that was where my yarn came from. I actually found an acrylic yarn that would cost less than $20 for enough to make his sweater!  How much do you want to bet that's the one he chooses? It's cheap enough that he might be generous and let me get yarn for another sweater for myself, in the yarn I want!

2 comments: