Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Problem Ring

    A few years ago, probably more than a few, I bought a garnet ring from ebay. I love this ring. It's in a simple setting with a wide band, looking vaguely middle eastern. Shortly after I got the ring, I discovered a problem with it. This problem has made me put it away and not wear it much. Actually, there were two problems with it.


    First, the woman who sold it to me so very nicely added all kinds of religious literature to the package. I find this annoying to the extreme. This fact comes back into play later. Wait for it.


    As I wore the ring, I noticed that my finger hurt after a while. I took the ring off, and there was a deep hole pressed into my finger, where the ring was. After examining the ring, I could see that the stone is taller than the setting that it's in, so the bottom point of the stone sticks out, and into my finger! I hope you can see it in your minds eye.


   Today, I spent almost an hour trying to get a photo of this aspect of the ring. For some reason, my camera won't focus on something so small. Perhaps my photographic skills need some work.


    I finally managed to get a blurry shot, but you can see the point of the stone sticking up.


   Anyway, this evening, I was at karate with my friend Kim, and showed her the ring, the point of the stone, and the depression it makes in my finger. Then I told her about the religious literature that accompanied the ring. She pointed out that perhaps the ring was intended to be like that. You know, like a celise. "My suffering is like   Christ's suffering", or whatever the idea is behind causing yourself pain.  I just find it extremely annoying. I am seriously considering taking a file to the point of the stone.


    Or I could take it to a jeweler here in town, and see if she can put some kind of spacer in the setting to raise it up. Or, I could just put the freaking thing back in my jewelry box for another ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment