Thursday, October 20, 2011

In Which I Encounter A Knitting Dilema

   Last night, as I sat here on my couch, knitting my heart out, I decided I should probably count my stitches and compare the count to what the pattern says I should have. So, as I knitted the next row, I counted. I have to count out loud, or I lose my place, and skip entire decades. I have done it in the past.

   Wait, that can't be right! Including the 20 stitches on each border, plus the body, that makes 219 stitches. But the pattern says I should have 208! WTF? Maybe I counted wrong, so I knit another row, again counting. It comes out the same. Now what do I do? I put it aside, and went to bed.

   All night, I lay there, thinking about those 11 extra stitches. Where did they come from? I know I had the right number at the beginning... didn't I? I thought all night, at least, every time I woke up. I finally decided that I need to measure each side, from the pleat out to the edge, and see if the pleat is at least in the center of the thing!

   If it is, then I'm ok, and can adjust the pattern accordingly. If it's not, I'm screwed. I may have to frog the whole fracking sweater and start over. That really depresses and freaks me out. I have never had to frog an entire project before. And I am not happy about that particular prospect, believe you me.

   I have been avoiding my sweater all morning. I don't want to look at it. I'm afraid that the pleat is off center, and I don't want to deal with it. So I'm drinking my coffee, and watching Supernatural, and trying hard not to think about it.

   OMG! I just looked at the paper I did my math on. I carried a 1 where there wasn't one! In other words, I added wrong! I have 209 stitches! One extra stitch I can deal with. I can feel the weight lifting off my shoulders! I don't have to frog! Wow. This may turn out to be a decent day after all, instead of "The Day I Had To Frog".

   Whew, do I feel better! Thanks for being here and listening to me rave. By the way, I was going to end this post after the drinking my coffee part. I really did look at the paper, and find my mistake. So I got to write it as it happened!

   Now, I need to get back to work on my sweater! Kim out!

1 comment:

  1. I have similar issues. I use removable stitch markers when I have to count larger projects for every 25 or 50. It is the best way for me to keep track for me. Plus it is easier for me to recount the smaller groups in 5s without the zoo, the phone, or my hubby distracting me.

    I am glad that it turned out to be 1 stitch that was easy to fix. Frogging back huge projects can be heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete