Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Nook, The Yarn Harlot's New Book, And Me!

   I have always, always, been an avid reader. Both of my parents were teachers, and encouraged us to read. In grade school, the teacher would give out the Weekly Reader sheets, and I would order the most books of anyone in the class! Now, we didn't have very much money, but that's how much my parents valued reading.

   One of the bedrooms in our house has been turned into a little library. There are nearly wall to wall shelves, and a desk where our old computer sits. Unfortunately it's not big enough to add comfy chairs. But the book shelves are full, the books are doubled or even tripled up on each shelf.

   A little over a year ago, I bought myself a nook e-reader. My daughter has one, and so do some friends. In the first month, I bought, and read, every book in my favorite series that was published at that time. Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. At that time I think there were 17 or 18 books. I re-read them all in just over one month.

   About a week ago, I read on the Yarn Harlots blog that she had signed some e-readers at Rhinebeck. A light bulb went on over my head! I had never thought to look for her books for my nook! So when I finally remembered, and had my nook with me, I shopped for her books. I purchased the newest one, and put the rest on my "wish list". Except for At Knit's End, which I bought and had signed at Rhinebeck.

   Now, these days, I am not reading as much. I am spending lots of time knitting, so my nook sits in the bathroom, waiting for me. For many years, I have kept a book in the bathroom, for those times when, let's say, it may take more than a few minutes to complete my business.

   Lately, that's where my nook spends most of it's time. I take it with me to other places, like the doctors office, where I may have to wait for a while. Especially if my current knitting project is too big or complicated to work on while I'm waiting.

   So the other day, I finally finished the book I had been reading, and was able to start Stephanie's new book. I have come to realize that the bathroom may not be the best place to read this book! It is so funny and entertaining, I can't put it down! My legs have fallen asleep as I read to the end of the current story.

   So what am I to do? I think I will just have to hang in there and try to force myself not to read too much, to put the nook down. I am just really glad that All Wound Up isn't over 800 pages, like a couple of books I have read recently. If they were that long, I bet I'd lose the use of my legs.

1 comment:

  1. I *love* the idea of an e-reader for a number of reasons, including portability and as a physical space saving device. As much as I love books, though, I find that I am way more likely to read a book if it comes in audio form so that I can knit, walk, do dishes etc. while listening to an audio book. We will, however, be purchasing an ereader in the near future. Apparently there are LOTS of knitting books & patterns available for just such the purpose.

    ReplyDelete