Monday, October 24, 2011

In Which Some Good Things Happen, For Once!

   After coffee this morning, Hubs headed for the house in Fishkill to do some work. Shortly after noon, while I was on line at the supermarket, he called me! He informed me that the TV repair shop called him, and they are bringing our TV home tomorrow!! YAY! It's only been, what, like 38 days? That was good thing number 2, actually.

   Good thing number 1? Well, that's a bit of a story. Friday evening, as the sun was going down, and Hubs was at work, I noticed it seemed to be getting a bit chilly in the house. I didn't think much of it. During the night, when I got up to use the facilities, I really noticed! It was downright cold in the house! That morning, after Hubs got home, I mentioned to him that I thought there was a problem with the furnace.

   I was right, the furnace wasn't kicking the hot water up the pipes. We still have hot water, because we both have taken showers, and I have washed dishes. It hasn't been that cold out yet, so we made it through the weekend with sweaters and heavy socks or slippers. This morning, he called our furnace guy, who said he would come by later this afternoon, after he got out of work.

   So good thing number one is that we hopefully will have heat later tonight! That will be a really good thing, because son and his girlfriend will be here tonight. We wouldn't want them to be cold now, would we? I did text with son, and told him to warn Julie it might be cold, and to bring warm clothes. With any luck, she won't need them.

   My daughter Sara, AKA Mrs. Gilroy, texted me yesterday and asked me to email her my Chili recipe! I had taken my mom's recipe and changed it a bit over the years. She used kidney beans, I started using black beans. Stuff like that. It was hard to write that email, as it made me stop and really think about what I do when I make the chili, and what I use, and when I put the different things in!

   The hardest part was the amounts of the herbs and seasonings, as I don't measure them, and just throw them in until it feels right. My Chili comes out differently every time! The original recipe mom had gotten out of a woman's magazine in the 60's, and used 2 cans of tomato soup, hamburger, and kidney beans. Well, they aren't my favorite, so I changed to black beans. I changed one can of the soup to a can of seasoned tomato sauce. I also took out the onions and peppers, as Hubs doesn't like them. I do use onion powder, though, lots of it! We still need the onion flavor!

   Anyway, Sara reports that her Chili was good, and her hubs loved it! We have a third generation making it her own! She used both kidney and black beans! It's funny, when she was a kid, I would get her bowl back with all the kidney beans still in it! She would eat around them!

   So today, I was inspired to make Chili, I know, big surprise! My Hubs is out hunting again, hoping for a second deer. Over the winter I can make Venison Chili, as well as Venison Stew.

   And now it's time to start making my chili. I also would like to report that I have make significant progress on my 2nd sleeve today! So I have been a busy little beaver. Maybe tomorrow you will get to hear how this batch of Chili turned out!

1 comment: