Saturday, October 29, 2011

What A Day, What A Storm!

   Today is the 29th of October, correct? Two days before Halloween, and *not* coincidentally, my youngest child's 22nd birthday.  It's snowing like hell! While I'm glad so many of my friends are all safe and sound at home, my family was not. My son was trying to get to Carmel, to his girlfriend's house, in a VW which is really bad in the snow.

   I would have been fine, if only he hadn't called me to let me know he wasn't there yet, and then again to let me know he was giving up trying, and coming home. It took over an hour for him to finally get home, a trip which usually takes maybe 15 minutes. I was worried silly about him.

   Then there was Hubs, who had to travel to work in the nasty mess. I wasn't so worried about him, as he is an extremely capable driver, and has 4 wheel drive on his truck. But I was still very relieved to get his call confirming that he had made it safely. And my son-in-law had to drive home from work in this mess too. He too, made it home successfully.

   At long last, I could relax! All my loved ones were where they were supposed to be, and they were all safe. Whew. Now I can knit in peace.

   I have to confess that I caved, and cast on the first of the hand warmers I was planning. But I did do some assembling of my sweater, and got some seams crocheted and sewn. For the hand warmers, I found my last ball (Goddess, I hope not) of hot pink Malabrigo worsted weight, and started on the 2 X 2 ribbing on a size 3 circular. For future reference, I only use circular needles,  I have found straight needles to be extremely cumbersome, and hate the way the yarn gets tangled up around the right one. I really detest the way I keep hitting my arms with them, too. AWKWARD! So it's circulars only for me, just so you know. Not that I'm prejudiced or anything.....

   The power has been a bit iffy today too. For the most part, it's on, but it has flickered more than once, and gone off completely two or three times. It's not off more than a minute and comes back on, so I guess we are kind of lucky, lots of people have no power at all.

   My beloved son has taken my Jeep out to procure us some dinner. He wasn't supposed to be here, so I didn't plan anything. I usually just wing it when I'm alone. I bet he's having fun with my Jeep, in 4 wheel drive. If, that is, he can avoid the people who don't know how to drive in snow, but insist on going out anyway.

   I'm going to sign off now, before the power goes out again. I hope everyone you care about is safe and sound! Kim out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment