Friday, July 20, 2012

Let's Have Some Coffee!

    I was thinking about this the other day: everyone says that when I make the coffee, it tastes better. Even when I prepare their cup for them. This makes me laugh, but it's true! When daughter Sara comes to visit, she asks me to prepare her cup for her, she says it just tastes better when I do it.


    I have no idea why this is! Is it the level of sugar in the three teaspoons that go in the cup? (We use really big cups in my house) Is it the precise amount of half and half I put in? I was taught by my dad when we were up in Clinton staying at Hamilton College for his sabbatical one summer. He told me to pour the milk(then) in just until you see it come back up at you in the cup. It's kind of hard to explain. But I have done it that way ever since.


    On the rare occasion that I don't set the coffee maker up before going to bed, I can tell that Hubs was up before me, because the coffee doesn't taste as good as when I make it. Could it be how much coffee I use? That would be three, barely heaping, (two tablespoon) scoops per pot. Before I make the coffee, or set up the coffee maker, I always rinse the basket in really, really hot tap water. I also rinse out the carafe as well. I don't think that Hubs takes this step.


    For me, it's like a ritual. Turn on the hot water, walk to the fridge, dumping the old grounds in the garbage on the way, take out the coffee. By the time I get back, the water is hot. Rinse out the basket thoroughly, put it back in the maker. Rinse out the carafe thoroughly, put it back. Turn off the hot water, and turn on the cold. Put the paper filter in the basket, put in the three slightly heaping scoops of coffee. By now the water is really cold. Cold water is essential for good coffee. Fill up the water reservoir. Gently, push the maker back against the wall. (The water can splosh out) Either turn it on, or go to bed and turn it on when you get up.


    By now, you all know that we drink chocolate coffee. It doesn't seem to matter which brand, whether it's the Godiva Chocolate Truffle, or the chocolate truffle coffee I get at Adam's Fairacre Farms. Sometimes I even can find some at Marshalls!Since it's flavored, you don't need as much coffee per pot, that's why I only use 3 scoops. Well, one reason anyway. I don't like strong coffee! It just tastes bitter to me.


    Oh yeah, I almost forgot! There's even a ritual for preparing the individual cups. I always put the sugar in first. Then pour the coffee in, and stir. Remove the spoon. You don't want the spoon contaminated by the half and half. Take the cups, and walk to the fridge, put them down. Take out the half and half and pour in the correct amount. The coffee is still moving in the cup, so it mixes in just fine. Tah dah! you're done. Now go and enjoy the best chocolate coffee in the world!
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment