Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Dad and Racism

    Last night, I stayed up and watched The Help on one of the movie channels. It was a really good movie. It got me thinking about racism. I was outraged that such behavior ever happened, is still happening. Then today as I was knitting, I remembered a story my dad had told us.


    You see, my dad was in the Air Force, in the 1950's. He spent time in the South. I'm not sure which state he was in. My dad was Italian, and a dark skinned one at that. Because of this, he found himself billeted with the African-American troops. He had to eat at the "colored only" facilities, and drink out of the "colored only" water fountains. He found himself discriminated against because of the color of his skin.


    This left a deep impression on him, and after his kids were born, he took pains to make sure that we never treated anyone the way that he and his fellow Airmen were treated. He made sure we were old enough to understand, and told us the story. He made it a positive story, that he made new friends, and learned to love country music. But he made sure we knew it was wrong.


   I was lucky enough to inherit his skin. I have a nice, olive tone to my skin. I tan very easily. In fact, my Hubs tells people that I can tan just by walking under a lamp. I have to say that as far as I know, I have never been discriminated against. Truly, it would never occur to me.


   I wanted to post a photo of my dad here, but I just looked through all my pics, and I don't have a good one of him. I must rectify that situation. I guess I will have to go visit my mom and take photos of the photos of him that she has.


   Anyway, this whole thing has made me really think hard, and thank my dad, not only for the service to his country, but for teaching me to treat all people the same.

2 comments:

  1. That's a good thing that your dad taught you well. Some people aren't taught to treat others well even today.

    There are often times I don't get treated fairly based on the color of my skin. It's sad but true. Can't wait to see a pic of your pops :) My gramps was in the airforce too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I send him my thanks to Heaven, as he died almost 20 years ago. He was only 59 years old. I realize I forgot that part of the story!

    ReplyDelete