Monday, February 6, 2012

In Which I Buy a New Drop Spindle

   My original drop spindle, a gift from a very good friend, is still missing in action. I was moved to go look on etsy for a new one. I looked and looked, page by page, and finally found one I loved. I am interested in a top whorl spindle, and it must have a notch for the yarn to be secured into.

   There are some really lovely examples out there. Lots of them I really liked, but I thought that they were just out of my price range. Some of them were square, which is cool because it won't roll away if dropped. Some were carved into snowflake-like shapes, which are really pretty, and have notches built, or carved, right into them.

  Some spindles have their whorls made of exotic things like glass, or stone, or even polymer clay! All of them were awesome. But the one that stole my heart is multi colored in sunset colors of red, orange and yellow, and also has sparkles on it. It even has not one but two notches in the whorl! And even better, it comes with a little bit of wool fiber to get started with.

   I am certainly not a proficient spinner, yet, but I am really looking forward to using this new spindle! I hope it comes in time to take it to the Spinning Guild meeting this month...  I promise, I will take photos of it when it comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment