Monday, February 13, 2012

Teaching a Toddler to Whistle

   The other day, my littlest charge was standing there, playing with something, and I swear I heard the tiniest whistle come out of her. I watched, and as she breathed, she whistled a little more. It must have been just the way her tiny little lips were pursed as she concentrated on what she was doing.

   I whistled at her, and startled her. She started laughing and ran over to me, touching my lips, to do it again. So I did it again. She tried to imitate me, but by breathing in, instead of out. I leaned over in front of her, and whistled gently into her face, so she could feel the breath coming out of my mouth. She tried again, unsuccessfully.

   I have heard her whistle since then, just like the first time, very gently, and unintentionally. I am still encouraging her to do it on purpose. I think it would be awesome to teach her to whistle whenever she wanted to. I will keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment