Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It's Time for a Rant

   This morning, I woke up, stumbled into the kitchen and started the coffee. I then fired up my laptop, as I had some crops on farmville that needed harvesting. I turn on the TV, I don't even know which channel that it's tuned to. But the show that is being broadcast is a documentary, debunking a certain book by a now famous author.

   Of course, I'm talking about The DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown. In turns I find it hysterical and extremely annoying that some people take it so seriously that they have to make documentaries about it, pointing out all the facts that Mr. Brown got wrong. I am here to tell you that this book was a work of fiction. Made up. Pretend. Not reality. Imaginary. Much like Harry Potter, in fact.

   There are other authors who write what is called "alternative history", in which something happens in the past to change how things are now. There is one I can think of, that I actually own, in which the South won the Civil War, and how different everything is now because of that. Do these authors have to endure multiple documentaries about how wrong everything they wrote about is? It is absurd.

   It seems that now, everything Mr. Brown writes will be subjected to such nonsense. Angels and Demons, for instance. There are documentaries debunking this book too. I do realize that people took the ideas in the books seriously, because they are about Christ, and the Catholic Church. And the Christians tend to take these things very seriously. But these books are listed as Fiction. They are very entertaining and enjoyable. I have read them more than once, in fact.

  I watched the documentaries as they, point by point, "fact" by "fact" showed that each point was not true, that he "got it wrong", the narrator says in a slightly snobby tone of voice. I feel like screaming at the TV "It's fiction, people!"...

   F. I. C. T. I. O. N. !! Get over it already!

  Ok, I think I'm done, it's all out of my system now. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment