Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Frustrations and Abominations

     I did not get a chance to blog yesterday. Hubs and I ended up going to the Fishkill house "for a couple of hours" in the afternoon, and didn't get home until after 11 p.m. That said, the house is really coming along nicely! The bedrooms are painted and looking awesome, and the light grey paint looks terrific in the dining room. I was surprised how well it went with the floor, which is a tan linoleum tile, it turns out that there is a significant amount of grey in the tiles! Before the grey walls, you never noticed the grey in the floor. It really looks awesome.


    So the house is almost done, and ready for it's new tenants. They are all excited about it. The only major project left is the electrical work.  And that should happen soon, so we can still make the June 1st target date.


    Now for the crafting part of my story. It turns out that I pissed off both the knit and crochet Goddesses. My crocheted shawl project is stalled, the stitch count is off. Hard to do, since it's mesh, like filet crochet, and the design is filled in boxes in the mesh. Every series of filled in boxes ends up being an odd number of stitches, and in the third row of my chart, one of the series of filled in boxes has an even number of stitches.


   I have gone back and counted stitches in the previous rows, they are all correct. I don't get it. I have even put it down overnight and counted again the next day, hoping against hope that it would somehow correct itself. It has not worked. Color me disappointed.


    Last week, I opened my big mouth and told an expert knitter that I could make the shawl that she was making and not have so much trouble with it. I think you can guess what is happening. This shawl is also kicking my ass, and making me doubt that I even know how to knit. So far, I have frogged it 3times. I started the fourth attempt, and am currently awaiting an audience with her Majesty for advice.


    So at this point, I need to re-learn how to count, to crochet, to interpret a crochet chart, and to trust my friends. But I really like the knitted shawl, I hope to overcome my obstacles. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what an appropriate sacrifice to the Goddesses would be? I am willing to do almost anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment