Saturday, May 12, 2012

Knitting in Public

   I love knitting in public. We regularly do this, at our Stitch n Bitch sessions at Cranberry's at Tilley Hall, in Hyde Park.  It's fun to have people come up to you and ask what you are making.


   I have learned over the years to bring something with me whenever I go somewhere that I may have to wait. Like the doctor's office, or the DMV. I used to have my nook with me at all times, but have recently switched it out for my knitting. I find I am getting quite a bit of knitting done while I am waiting.


   Today, I had lunch with my mom and darling daughter. I thought I might be late, as I had a few stops to make on the way down to the restaurant. First the drug store for a mothers day card, then the bank to cash in my change stash. Finally I had to stop for gas, or I might not have made it home. That was the plan, anyway.


   The first obstacle was in the bank. They only have one change machine in our branch, and as I walked in I saw that there was already someone standing there getting ready to use it. So I sat down. Then I took a longer look. This man had, I kid you not, a huge satchel out of which he was pulling bags of change. I quickly decided I did not have the time to wait for him, so I left. I hoped to stop again on my way home.


   The stop for gas went smoothly, and soon I was on my way to lunch. It turned out that I arrived before mom and Sara! So I went in, and sat on the bench and pulled out my knitting. I remember thinking it was a good thing I didn't bring my nook, as it was very dark in there, and I wouldn't have been able to read anyway.


   This morning I finally finished picking up the stitches on one side of the baby blanket, and I had knit the first row. So I sat there on the bench and knit almost a whole second row before mom and Sara arrived!


   We had a lovely time at lunch. We talked long after the food was taken away, it was a good thing they weren't busy. The waitress was gracious, and the food was very good.


   There are times I would like to take a chair out to Rte 9, and just sit there and knit. Come to think of it, that's what we do on Memorial Day, while we watch the parade! I'm looking forward to doing that again this year. It's been the three of us, Kim, Jan and myself, for the last couple of years.


   All three of our kids march with the Karate School, and are on the Demonstration Team. Of course, my kid is the leader of the whole team, as well as being the newest 4th degree black belt, the second student ever to get that rank. No, I'm not too proud or anything....
  
  
   That's him on the right, accepting his certificate. The red stripe on his belt denotes his rank as a Master.  It seems I have strayed a bit off topic. Oh well...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! He's been doing karate since he was 1o, more than half his life...

    ReplyDelete