Tuesday, May 29, 2012

An Unexpected Reaction

    This coming weekend, my son is moving out of the house. He is my youngest child, the last to leave home. I thought I was ready. It turns out I am not. For some reason I am freaking out about it.


    This past weekend, he was in his room, packing his belongings into boxes. He came out of his room, shaking a little jar. He asked me if I wanted these. I asked him what they were... His answer surprised me, he said they were his baby teeth! I asked him why he still had them, and he said that I told him to save them.




    Later on, thinking about it, I wondered why, out of all the things in his life that I had told him to do, did he choose this one time to listen to me!


    I have no reason to worry about him, he will be fine. After all, he is more mature than his father and I put together! He is a 4th degree black belt! He is a certified Karate instructor! He has more self confidence than I ever dreamed possible. Maybe I am mourning the end of his childhood, and what this all means to me.


    After all, this is what parents are supposed to do, prepare their children for life as an adult. We are supposed to look forward to the empty nest. That means we parents can finally enjoy each others company, and relax, knowing we did our job well.


    What they don't tell you is that you now have a brand new set of worries and concerns about your kid. Is he eating well? Does he have enough money for his bills? And worst thought of all, will he want to move back home?


    I applaud his decision to move on. It may not be easy for me, but I know it's necessary. He won't be alone, he will be sharing the house with his girlfriend and another couple. And Graeme is a full fledged working paramedic, who wants to be a doctor. That makes me feel better, in case of a medical emergency. I think the neighbors feel good about that too. They have seen the ambulance parked in the driveway, during the renovations, as he checks in to see how things are going.


    So it will be a very emotional day for me, when he actually leaves. He will be taking our sectional with him, as well as the big fish tank, and the stand for it.  Recently, in anticipation of his moving, I bought a bottle of champagne for Hubs and I to share on Jesse's first night in the new house. I know that the kids have a bottle as well. We shall all toast to the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment