Friday, November 18, 2011

About My Collections

   I admit it, I am a collector. Thank goodness my Hubs doesn't mind too much. Aside from the yarn stashes in two houses, I collect books. I have always been an avid reader since I was a child. My parents encouraged us to read, since they were both teachers and knew how important it was. 

   I have a room in my house that is full of book cases (it's a small room).  And all the book cases are full, if not over full. Mostly with books, but also with some of my other collections.  On one shelf, I have my gavels. I got them on EBay. I have no idea what attracted me to them, but I have more than a few. I have two favorite ones, one is made of lucite, so it's clear, and the other is made from ebony. It's a beautiful black wood. I have one that is hand painted with flowers and was used by a woman judge.

   On another shelf are my hedgehogs. I love hedgehogs! I have stuffed ones, a puppet, and more than a few little statuettes. They are so cute, I actually wanted one as a pet for a long time. But they require much work, and I am more of a laid back pet owner. Too much work for me, so no pet hedgehog.

   Then there are my beanie babies. I have a huge number of them, but only the bears are displayed. I love all the beanie baby bears! I also have a small collection of realistic looking stuffed rabbits. I love them, they are so soft. They are so realistic, my Hubs once took one and used it for bait when he and his friends were hunting coyotes! My rabbit was returned unharmed. He only told me about it afterwards.

   But I have to say that my favorite and biggest collection is my sand collection. Yes, SAND. When my friends travel, I ask them to bring me back some sand from wherever they are vacationing. I have sand from all over the world! I keep it in small clear jars, each one labeled as to where it's from.

   I have a pretty good sized collection of tarot cards, as well. But they aren't displayed on a shelf, they are in a dresser drawer. Don't ask me why, that's just where they ended up. There are all kinds of designs of tarot cards, different artists conceptions of them, etc. They are so beautiful, I'd love the lay each deck out and hang them in frames. A long time ago, I used to read the cards for my friends, but always did it with the book of meanings in my hand, because I couldn't possibly memorize all of the meanings of all of the cards!

   I think that's all of my collections. If I go in the den and look and see a collection I missed, I will have to do another post about it. I do feel it's necessary to state that all the displayed collections are in front of at least one row of books. In the case of paperbacks, they are stacked two books high, and sometimes two books deep. Most of my books on the shelves are two books deep. I think it's time for more shelving units, but Hubs isn't buying it. He votes for getting rid of some books. GASP!! Not gonna happen.

   Anyway, until next time!  Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment