Friday, November 4, 2011

The Trauma of My First Frogging

   For the first time, I've had to frog a WIP. I knew in my heart that it needed to be done, I knew that there was nothing to be done to fix it. This is my first lace shawl, my first knitted lace ever. One good thing is that I wasn't terrible far along, and another was that I was resigned to the frogging. I was only maybe 15 rows into it, and it starts small, in the center of the top, and gets bigger from there. I hadn't yet gotten to any color changes yet. That would have been worthy of tears!

   So I frogged, and wound the yarn back onto the ball, and took a deep breath, and started again. This time, I got it! I am remembering the YO, K1, YO before the last three stitches at the border.  I have even remarked to Hubs that now that I have this section down, wouldn't the whole shawl look cool done in this stitch? He told me that NO, I wasn't going to cheat, I was going to follow the whole entire pattern. He can be such a killjoy. 

   The rest of the pattern involves all these charts, and I am not a chart reader. I even hate crochet charts! Never use them! If it isn't written in words, I don't want to do it. This shawl pattern is written in words, too, but the words say to follow the chart! AARRGGHH. Guess I'm gonna have to learn to do charts. It's a really good thing I have very good friends who are expert knitters! I have their encouragement and support for this, I would never have wanted to do this shawl on my own.

  Now for the new photo! This I just took a little while ago, and shows my actual, up to the minute progress.


   This kind of makes me giggle, the stitch markers look like googly eyes, and makes the whole thing kind of look like a pink monster! It looked more like a monster when it was a bit smaller.  But I giggle anyway.  It doesn't take much to amuse me. Just getting the stitches in the right order can make me giggle too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment