Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Dental Trauma And Craft Report

   Today I went to the dentist. This may sound mundane, but for most of my life I have purposely avoided that profession. I remember going to one was a child, and have no memory of any horrendous happenings in his office; but nevertheless I somehow developed an unreasonable fear of dentists.
 
   This fear was so pervasive that even when I had severe toothaches, I took painkillers and waited for the pain to go away. As a result, I needed some extensive work done. Hubs has been after me for years to get my teeth taken care of. I finally caved over the summer. The fact that I had a pretty intense abscess in a molar led to my first visit. That in turn led to a root canal in said molar, which in turn led to the promise of fixing all teeth that needed fixing. And now we come to today's visit.

   Let me state up front that I am a gagger. I *hate* having things in my mouth. Having my teeth X-rayed is torture. So this experience has *not* been a good time. This dentist I am currently seeing has very few people skills. He doesn't talk to the patient much. But today, while I was practically upside down, and TOTALLY without warning, he said "Open", and when I did, he stuck a huge tray full of purple goo in my mouth. I gagged, and actually vomited a little in my throat. (sorry) They promptly sat me up straight, but my teeth were chattering, and I was shaking, so he didn't get a very good impression of my teeth. So he shoved another tray of purple goo in my mouth. That one wasn't any good either, so he decided to do each side separately.

   Finally the torturer was satisfied with his results. Now I have two temporary crowns in my mouth, complete with metal posts. Yee-ha. I don't have to go back until next month, but I have to be careful what I eat, because they could come out. All in all, I was very, very glad that I had the forethought to take a Xanax before I left the house today.

   And now for an updated craft report! I have apparently made an error in the bornday shawl, so I have stopped working on it until I can have my expert assess whether it needs to be completely frogged and started over. In the meantime, I have started a hat for my beloved Hubs. Here is the photo of the shawl, as far as I have gotten:


   Notice I have changed to the KnitGlassGuy stitch markers! They are so much better for this project. And here's a photo of Hubs' hat. It is black, and wool. I convinced him that wool will be warm to wear when he's hunting.



   I'm excited that I can work on the hat tomorrow at Stitch n Bitch. And I've prepared myself for the worst, in regards to the shawl. I am ready to frog it and start over, but with my expert's guidance from the start. And breakfast at Cranberry's is really a good time, so it's a win win situation! Look for a Stitch n Bitch report in tomorrows post!

3 comments:

  1. That's weird that the dentist would take the impression. Isn't that what the dental assistant is for? Do they have dental assistants in America? My sister is a DA, and she has taken a few impressions on me. The first step is to select a tray that is the right size for your mouth. When they do the goopy stuff, there is no reason you have to be upside down for it (?). It is a bit gaggy, especially if they are taking a top impression.

    If he had an assistant do that, one that is experienced with taking impressions, the experience might have simply been mildly unpleasant and only briefly uncomfortable. But I'm with you on the lack of chair-side manner - switch to a new dentist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! am on computer and can leave comment :) Love ewe and glad both teeth and shawl are fixed! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey, We do have DA's here, maybe this guy is just more hands on. I just really would have appreciated a little heads up! Tell me what you're gonna do! And today, I found a bruise on my lip. Someone, either dentist or DA, must have pinched my lip and some point. What we have to go thru to have a nice smile!

    ReplyDelete