Friday, November 25, 2011

Ghosts of Thanksgivings Past

   As I sit here this morning, drinking my coffee, my thoughts turn to past Thanksgivings that maybe didn't turn out the way it was planned. I could only think of two instances, but thought that maybe they were worth sharing.

   When I was a kid, I don't remember how old I was, my parents, my brother, and myself set out to my aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving dinner. They had a big house, and with five kids, it was always loud and busy and fun. Their house wasn't too far away, maybe just over an hour in the car.

    We finally arrive at their house. When you're a kid, all car trips seem to take forever! The house seems very quiet. We walk up to the front door, and knock. No one comes to the door. But it's unlocked, so in we go. There is no one home!  There's no turkey in the oven, no side dishes cooking on the stove, no kids playing, nothing.

   So there are my parents, realizing that auntie and uncle have forgotten they were coming, and they've gone off to someone else's house for dinner. Since mom was planning on dinner here, there's no dinner fixin's at home. So mom and dad decide to see what's in the cupboards to feed their hungry children. I believe they found some hot dogs and beans. So that's what we had for our Thanksgiving dinner that year. It was most memorable!

   The other story, oddly enough, finds my parents, myself and my young daughter heading to the same aunt and uncle's house for yet another Thanksgiving dinner! By this time, Sara and I were living in Hyde Park, and mom and dad stopped to pick us up on the way. That day, it was raining, and it was cold. We left my apartment, and the roads were just starting to get icy. The further north we drove, the worse the road conditions got. After a little while, dad decided to turn around, not wanting to risk our lives.

   So, we headed back to my apartment, disappointed once again. But at least it was the weather that ruined Thanksgiving this time. They stopped at a convenience store and got me some frozen fried chicken to have for dinner. It was the closest thing to turkey that they had in the store.



    I know that I am not the only one with these kinds of stories. Feel free to share some of your own with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment