Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Childhood Memories of Lake Peekskill

   In 1969, the summer I turned 13, my parents bought their first house. Up until that time, we had lived in rented houses. I never knew the difference. We had been living on a small lake, and I loved it. I learned to swim when I was little, and my brother loved to catch fish there. In the Winter, we had the whole lake to ice skate on.

   We lived in a community that surrounded the lake, and I never thought it strange that many of the houses were only occupied in the Summer. People from the metro New York City area bought these summer homes on our little lake.  It was within easy commuting distance, I guess.

   We had direct lake access, as well as private beach access. There were three beaches on the lake, and the one we used was for residents only. You got a pass every year.  Many of our neighbors had row boats, or canoes. I can remember borrowing our next door neighbors canoe and paddling all over the lake.

   I can remember going to swimming lessons at the beach, in the Summer,  very early in the morning. One morning, because it was cold, mom made us corn on the cob to eat as we walked to the beach, to keep us warm.

   The house we lived in had a huge yard, that sloped down a gentle hill right to the lake. There was a cement dock there, great for diving, jumping, and fishing off of. My parents actually rented the bottom floor of this house, the owners lived upstairs at street level. We walked down a flight of stairs to get to our apartment. But we were on the same level as the yard!

   It was a great little community to grow up in. There were always neighbors who watched out for you, and you knew you had to go home before it got dark. If your mom had to call your friends house to have you sent home, you were in trouble.

   All these memories, and many more, came flooding back to me today. As I was putting some stuff away in the hall closet, I found my rock. Remember the first sentence? Well, in 1969, when we moved to Wappingers Falls, that first day I rode my bike around the development. I found that rock on that trip around the circle that was Robert Lane.  I brought it home, and I've had it ever since. All these years, the rock has sat by every front door, in every place I've lived.  It's a good size rock, and all smooth and pretty. At some point, my mom painted flowers on it. 

   Today, after I found it, I took a few photos of the rock. When I started writing this post today, I intended to write about living in Wappingers, and going forward from there. Somehow I started with the move, and went backwards! But it's all good.





    Every Summer, when we take the top down on my Jeep, I think about taking a little road trip back to Lake Peekskill. I wanted my kids to see where I grew up. And I wanted to see it again too. Summer would be the ideal time to go, and with the top down on the Jeep, it would be perfect.

   I am going to think some more about Lake Peekskill, and write down some key words to jog my memory, so another time I can post more. If you like my memories,a nd want to hear more, please feel free to comment!

    Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment