Sunday, November 20, 2011

In Which I Try Something New!

   The other day, I was looking at knitting patterns on one of those free pattern sites. I was specifically looking at felted items. I have made a few felted bags in my time, so I was looking to see if there was anything new.

   I saw some bag patterns I liked, but I am not a fan of double pointed needles, especially to start a project with. Nothing but disaster for me. So I thought about it, and thought about it some more. I think I have some up with an idea.

   I decided to crochet a circle for the bottom of the bag, then pick up and knit around the circle for the rest of it!  I have some black and grey Patons wool that I bought last winter to make slippers, but never did. I started with the black, and made a crocheted circle. I didn't measure it, but it's at least 13 or 14 inches across. I used a K size (6.5 mm) hook, and plan to use a size 10 1/2(6.5 mm) circular needle, 32 inches long.

  When it was big enough for me, I slipped the last loop on the hook onto the needle, and then went around the circle picking up stitches. When I got them all, I started knitting! I am doing this all off the cuff, so who knows how it will turn out? I plan on knitting the bag at least 18 inches long. I will probably put a big fat grey stripe in it at some point.

   I am not sure yet how I will handle the handle (pun intended). Maybe I will bind off all but 8 stitches or so, then do an I-cord to attach at the other side? I can't wait to see it once it's all felted.

  This is the first time I've used my own idea. I like that it's combined crochet and knitting. The crochet bottom will be sturdier than the knit body, since crochet makes a heavier fabric. We will have to see how it comes out. I will take pictures, before felting and after, and post them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment