Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Preparations? NAH....

   OMG I am realizing that Christmas is getting closer every day. I know this because tomorrow is one week before Christmas Eve. It also happens to be our 23rd wedding anniversary. I still need to bring our little tree up from the basement, and Hubs needs to move his tools from the little table where the tree goes.

   Last year, Hubs and I were in the Fishkill house. So our son had this house all to himself. He decorated for Christmas by hanging up our three stockings on the wall. They are still there. Hubs suggested we hang up a 4th stocking this year, for Julie, our son's girlfriend. I told him I wasn't sure, but that might be too much of a commitment. But  I am glad she's around, and it is nice to not be outvoted on everything all the time! 

   I am reminded of Christmas every time I walk into our kitchen. A few years ago, actually more than a few, Hubs and I were going to paint the kitchen. So at Christmas time, we painted a Christmas mural on the one wall. Everyone helped, and painted something. There's a big tree, with metallic ornaments, and garland. There's snow drifts, and presents under the tree. Hubs painted a hunter with a bow and arrow, aimed at the reindeer of Santa's sleigh that Jesse painted. The hunter is sitting on a star up in the sky.

   Mom painted shadows and dimension on the snow drifts, as she's the artist in the family. Sara added "ALL HAIL SARA", with a smiley face. There's a snowman too, but I don't remember who painted it. All these things are still there. We have never painted over them. Since the man gnome and the woman gnome hang on that wall, they are christened MIKE and KIM, respectively.

   We may be an oddball family, but we do have our share of fun. Sometimes we can be dysfunctional, like many families, but I believe we all truly love each other. And isn't that what the Christmas season is really all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment