Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sharing Mom's Folk Art Pieces

    For as long as I can remember, my mom has been doing one artsy craft or another. She has painted in oils, done ceramics, even tried her hand at crocheting. I can remember her attempt at making a granny square afghan. She worked for months on her granny squares. I remember they were shades of green. She had piles and piles of them.

   When she finally had enough of them to put together, she made a horrendous discovery. All her squares were of about four different sizes! Some were tiny, and some were big! The rest were somewhere in between. She got totally disgusted, and threw them all away. She never crocheted anything again. She left that to her mother, and then to me.

   She finally found folk art painting. She really loved that, and even got good enough to teach it. She had a classroom set up in the basement of her house. Over the years, I have come to own some of her pieces. My daughter has some too, in her house. I have taken photos of the pieces I can find, I know I have more, but I have no idea what I've done with them.

   Here are the photos of the pieces I have. Mom painted this for us when we got married, it hangs over the doorway to our kitchen:


This little plaque hangs in my bedroom. I love it:


Mom and Dad carved the wood, then mom painted it:


One of the gnomes in my kitchen, I can't get a good shot of Mrs. Gnome:


These are two of the four tray tables that mom painted:




And here is my rock again. It counts, mom painted it!



No comments:

Post a Comment