Monday, December 12, 2011

My Sweater Blocking Adventure

   We have discussed, I'm sure, that I use my son's bed to block my knitting. I wait until he's going to be gone for a few days, and block away. He has fallen into a routine, where he goes to his girlfriends house on Saturday, and comes home Monday evening after work. She is usually here Mondays too, she has an evening class that gets out late.

   This week, after he had gone, I soaked my sweater in the washing machine, since I have no sink large enough for it. All rolled up in towels, I brought it upstairs. I found my blocking boards, and put the puzzle pieces together. Then I brought in the little ceramic heater, plugged it in, and turned it on. Lastly, I unrolled my sweater, and laid it out on the bed, on top of the blocking boards. I pinned the pleat down, so it would stay together. I fussed with it for a while, as knitters tend to do.

   When I was satisfied, I walked out and closed the door behind me. Expecting some miracle to happen, I checked it in a hour. I shouldn't have wasted my time. It was still pretty wet. Well, I can hope, can't I?

   Unfortunately, the best laid plans of knitters tend to go awry. And children just love to change their plans without informing their moms. Not two hours after I closed that door, Son walked in the front door, informing me that he was home to watch football with his dad, but that he was going out to dinner, so I don't have to cook for him. And that Julie would be here later.

   So I freaked a little, since I have no where else to put the wet sweater. He was nice enough to let me keep it in there, during the game. I kept checking it, hoping it would dry quickly. By the time the game was over, I had to move it. I gently folded one sleeve and side onto the center, then the other one. I bent the outside portions of the blocking boards up, and moved the whole kit and caboodle onto the floor by the foot of his bed. I had to maneuver it under all these wires that go from his video game system to the TV. I got it in place, and left it there. He  asked me to leave the heater on, since his room can be pretty cold.

    He and Julie got too hot with the heater on, and ended up turning it off during the night. After he left this morning, I put the sweater back on the bed, and turned the heater back on. So my sweater finally got completely dry today. I had my erands to run, and by the time I was done this afternoon, it was ready. I tried it on, and it felt wonderful. The sleeves weren't too long! The pleat stayed pleated! I can't wait to wear it, hopefully on Friday, to Stitch n Bitch.

   Am I an evil woman, a bad mother, and horrible person, for hoping my beloved youngest child will move out? Would he think less of us, if he knew we've made plans for just such an occasion? All I can say is that I hope he doesn't read this  one...

No comments:

Post a Comment