Wednesday, December 21, 2011

On Being A Karate Mom

    This being the holiday season, it brought to mind one particular Christmas. It was 1999, and my son had just turned 10 years old that Halloween. Every year, his dad bought him a special gift, just from him. One year, it was a Go-Kart. But this particular year, it was a month of Karate classes.

   Jess was so excited. He had his first class on December 27th, 2 days after Christmas. He was a little self conscious, he was the oldest kid in the white belt class. But he took to it right away, and once he found out he could break stuff, that was it. His face just lit up. He came home after that class and told us both he wanted to do this forever!

   He became very dedicated to the martial arts. He attended classes regularly, at least 3 times a week. I will never forget his very first monthly promoton. He was to receive his orange belt. The Master stood in front of all the students who were arranged by rank. As he ran them through their paces, there was one boy who didn't know what he was supposed to know. The Master let his displeasure be known. He asked the boy if he practiced at home. The poor boy answered in the negative.

   After that night, Jess practiced at home. All the time. He practiced his forms, and once he was advanced enough for a weapon, a Bo Staff, he practiced that too. He wasn't going to be yelled at like that other boy.

   He progressed through the ranks quickly. He attended classes every day of the week. He and I had had a talk, that if he was going to do this, Karate would have to become his best friend. Once he got to the red belt level, the belt before black belt, he had to help teach classes as well.  You are a red belt for a long time, nearly two and a half years, or even more, and this is the point when most students drop out.

   My son maintained his strength through this whole time. It certainly wasn't easy, on him or on me. You see, with him being underage, I got to drive him to class, and sit there for the three or so hours every day while he helped teach, then took his own class.  My butt got very familiar with those hard metal chairs. I knew the creed that all the students recite at the beginning of every class. I even got to the point where I would recite it with the class! Which the Master noticed, and got a good laugh out of.

   When my son became a 1st Degree Black Belt at the age of 13, I was so proud. Shortly after that, his Master asked him to be a junior instructor. He is now 22, and a 3rd Degree Black Belt, ready to test for his 4th Degree, or Master Belt. And I am still so proud of him. He turned out good.

   I wish I could take the credit for that, but I think his Karate Master gets most of the credit. He has such self esteem, and self assurance, he is an absolutely amazing man. His dad and I agree that he is more mature than we are.  He is going to be a success in whatever field he decides to enter, and he is going to be the best dad in the world.

   In closing, I must ask, if anyone reading this knows my son personally, please DO NOT TELL HIM ABOUT THIS POST. He wouldn't appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment