Friday, December 9, 2011

In which I finally finish my sweater!

   Here it comes, boys and girls! After languishing for (what seems like) many months, I was inspired after Stitch n Bitch this morning, to get my unfinished sweater out, and FINALLY finish it! I just finished sewing up the 2nd pocket. The first one was 2/3 sewn already, so I finished that one, then went on and sewed up the second one.

   Now all I have to do is block it. It's so big, and I don't have a sink large enough. Maybe I can use the washing machine, just to get it wet and let it soak a little while. Either way, I have to wait until my son is gone for a couple of days and nights, so I can use his bed to lay it out to dry. Hubs even brought the space heater home from the Fishkill house, so I can use it in his room to speed up the drying process. Woot!

   The first time I made this pattern, it turned out perfectly, but it was too big for me. I do wear it anyway, but I wanted to make another one, smaller, that fit me better. This one seems to be a big snug, but I will stretch it out a little when I block it. It also isn't as perfect as the first one, the seams at the shoulder are a little bulky. And again this time, the pleat in the back isn't right. But I don't really care, I will wear this one proudly and loudly.

I think the second pocket I just sewed is a bit crooked too, but again, I don't care. That's one of those things that people don't notice unless it's pointed out to them. I haven't taken any new photos, but here are a couple of the sweater in process:

The first sleeve, done:


The 8 stitch bind off for attaching sleeve:


Almost the end, the two sides of the collar coming together:



And finally, the whole, nearly finished, sweater!

   Now that I am inspired, I wonder what else I will pull out to finish? What I would really, really like to do, is adjust this pattern down to a child size 4, to fit my granddaughter! But I can't see me working that much math. I'd have to do the sleeves flat, and seam them up. And you all know how I feel about seams.... It would be do-able, I think, using small needles, and if I had the right measurements.

No comments:

Post a Comment