Friday, January 20, 2012

Adventures in Spinning and Babysitting

   Yesterday:
   To be honest, I haven't really begun spinning yet. Tomorrow morning, I'm taking my drop spindle and fiber to Stitch n Bitch, and OFL (Our Fearless Leader) will give me a lesson in using it. I'm excited about it.
   I have yet to try my actual spinning wheel. Maybe at some point in the future I will get brave enough to ask for assistance and lessons, and get started. Woo hoo.

   Today I started my second babysitting job. My charge is one cute little girl! As opposed to the cute big girl I also babysit for. The little one was an absolute darling today. I just hope that at some point in the future, she doesn't start screaming as soon as I walk in the door, because that means that her mommy is leaving. I certainly hope we become fast friends before too long.
   And this takes some of the pressure off me, as I am now working part time. And Hubs is happy! So I babysit five days a week, two days for both kids, separately, and the other three for just the little one. And I am home in time to get Hubs up for work!  Another woo hoo!

   Today: 

    Stitch n Bitch went really well this morning, I spun on my spindle, and we both decided that I either need a new, heavier spindle, or I need to glue some pennies under the disc part to make it heavier. If it's heavier, it spins for a longer time. And we were very happy to see Bella today, as well! We miss her when she can't come to every meeting. I was so tickled to heat that she reds my blog, regularly! She even told me that she looks forward to it every day. I am just excited that I have at least one fan.

    My second day babysitting went really well, the little darling climbed up on my lap and promptly took a nap laying on my chest. Warmed my heart. On the negative side, I got to change my first poopie diaper in about 20 years. You look at the young ones with such nostalgia, until a poopie diaper comes along. Then you remember why you love that they grew up.

    I got home in time, Hubs was already up for work, and drinking his coffee. We got to hang out, and after he left for work, I got ready to go out. Again. For the third time today. This time, Kim and I were going to our first meeting of the Spinning Guild, in Red Hook. We were both nervous. She's been spinning for a while now, and she's actually very good at it.

   Still, it was intimidating. I mean, all these artsy types? That's what we imagined. Even though we knew at least some of the ladies and gentlemen who were there, from the much smaller spinning group that meets at the Clinton Library once a month. Everyone we knew greeted us warmly. That was nice. We wanted to join, but the membership lady disappeared shortly after the actual meeting portion was over. We didn't see her again until she had her coat on and was walking out the door to leave. Oh well, there's always next month. I also hope to take my camera next month and get some photos!

   So today, I left home at 9 a.m. and got home about 10:45. Left again at 11:15, and got home at 3:30 p.m. Left again at 6, and got home about 9:30. Tomorrow I plan on sleeping in, as late as I can!

2 comments:

  1. What kind of spindle are you using? Usually, the spindle will keep spinning if it is well-balanced, so if your isn't spinning for very long, perhaps it is just that the whorl is set off-centre. One of my favourite books for learning about spindles is Abby Franquemont's Respect the Spindle. It's a lovely book that explains how it all works and how to figure out your skills. Regardless, spindling is extremely addictive! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Adriene! I am not sure what kind it is, my friend Kim (atknitsendyarns) gave it to me, along with fiber to spin, for my birthday. She did say that she has another one that spins very well, she will let me borrow. She seems to believe that the weight of it is the problem.

    ReplyDelete