Tuesday, January 3, 2012

In Which A Dream Comes True!

   As a crafter, I have knitted and crocheted. I tried to sew, after Hubs bought me a gorgeous sewing machine for Christmas one year. It's strange, but I am actually afraid of it. But I did try it. At the urging of a friend, I started attending a local spinning group at a local library. These ladies are awesome, and welcomed me with open arms, even though I didn't know how to spin. I would sit and knit or crochet while they spun. It was fascinating to me to watch them create yarn out of fluff.

   I subscribe to a spinning magazine, and after looking at the ads in this magazine, I had completely given up on the idea of owning my own spinning wheel. It turns out that they are expensive! And I knew that as much as my Hubs loves me, I would not be getting one anytime soon. In fact, I wouldn't even ask for one.

   Before I knew my knitting friends, friend 1 gave friend 2 a wheel she had gotten from a third friend. With the condition that when she was through with it, friend 2 should pass it on to another would-be spinner. I am very happy to report that I have become the newest recipient of this marvelous spinning wheel! I am so very excited to have custody of such a marvelous wheel.

   Now I just have to learn to use it! My friend, friend 1, is a very good spinner, and I know she will teach me well. She had given me a drop spindle and fiber for my birthday year before last. I tried it but couldn't get the hang of it. I'm hoping the wheel will go better. I can't wait to start my lessons.

   Hubs even took me to go pick it up. I wasn't sure it would fit in my Jeep. We buckled it into the back seat of his truck, and it made it safely home. Now I just need to find a place to keep it. I know you can't see me, but I am doing what my mom referred to as my "Happy Food Dance"! Pictures to follow, soon.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! I totally understand your excitement - after taking on babysitting & cleaning jobs to save up for a wheel, the money eventually was used for more practical things. Multiple times. (like a set of tires after a multiple blow-out, and the deductible for our DD's outpatient surgery last year. . . )

    My sweet hubby surprised me last month for my b-day & ordered a wheel for me from an artisan who designs & builds them not far from here!! I was doing a happy dance, too!

    Best of luck in your spinning adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, hit the wrong key again... make that Aimee!

    ReplyDelete