Saturday, January 14, 2012

A New Crafting Adventure!

   Last week, I acquired a spinning wheel! This is really awesome, since I have been interested in spinning, but never thought I could, since it is not budget friendly right now. I believe I wrote about this in an earlier post. Well, now a friend and I are looking into joining a local spinning guild. This is high brow stuff for me. I don't even know how to spin yet! My friend tells me that the guild will be the perfect place to learn, since that's where all the expert spinners are. We attend out first meeting next Friday evening.

   Does this mean I will become tri-craftual? Maybe so, but I'm not changing my handle. I would also really like to learn to weave too. In fact, this leads me to the main idea of today's post! I was out shopping with friend Bonny today. I wanted to buy the book about how to knit socks two at a time with circular needles. I couldn't find it, even in the bookstore. I decided that the yarn goddess doesn't want me to have it yet.

   But I did find what looks to be an awesome book in Joann Fabrics. It's called Spinning, Dyeing, and Weaving - Self Sufficiency and it's by Penny Walsh. I can't wait to read it. I have thumbed through it, and it looks pretty cool. It covers everything, from processing fleeces and combing and carding, all the way to wheel and spindle spinning, and weaving. It even tells you how to make your own natural dyes.

   So now I get to look forward to learning something new! This book even has information on how to make your own simple loom. And I have a Hubs who knows how to build stuff. Sounds like I might be able to get him to make me a small loom... Well, we'll talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment