Monday, January 2, 2012

In Which I Freeze to Death!

   This morning I was up before my alarm went off, I guess I was afraid I'd oversleep. Then it was off to my part time gig. 2 hours a day, twice a week. Not a bad gig! I was so sleepy, I planned on laying back down with Hubs when I got home. Unfortunately, he was up when I got home. And there was coffee a-cookin'. That was the end of that idea.

   After we had our coffee, Hubs expressed a desire for me to accompany him to the house in Fishkill. He really doesn't like going down there by himself, both his mom and his step dad died in that house. He tells me he's never liked that house, never felt comfortable there, even when his step grandmother owned it and lived there. Knowing his discomfort with the house, I went along.

   The Fishkill house has the heat turned all the way down, I believe it's to 50 degrees, since no one lives there at this point. There really wasn't anything for me to do, so I stayed inside and read my nook, while Hubs began disassembling the wheelchair ramp he had built for his mom. He just needed me to be there. Anyway, so I froze my patootie off! I left my gloves on, and had brought one of my heavy wool sweaters with me, knowing it was gonna be cold down there.

   After a couple of hours, I decided to plug in and turn on one of the heaters Betty had bought. I aimed it right at myself, and plopped right back in the dining room chair. There is almost no furniture left in the house, dining room chairs are the only place to sit. Unless you want to sit on the downstairs toilet that's sitting in the dining room...

   Eventually I warmed up enough to take my gloves off. But by the time I was really getting the feeling back in my feet, it was time to close up and go. I made sure I turned off the heater, then unplugged it. I also remembered to unplug Hubs' charging things for his tools.

   We are home now, and I am still cold. I have had dinner, and everything, but I can't get warm. I may have to resort to drastic measures and hit the hot tub later on tonight. This really sucks, I hate being cold. Unfortunately, when my hands get cold, they HURT!

    One time they hurt so bad, I had them wrapped up in a heating pad, the tears running down my face. The heating pad didn't help. People laugh at me when I start wearing my gloves in September, and I wear them until at least May. Better they laugh at me then I have to deal with that much pain.

   I am still really tired, too. I will probably go to bed early tonight. In fact, I believe I am looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. Cold sucks. Whatever you have to do to stay warm(ish). All my scar tissue hurts when I get cold ~ and I don't know I'm getting cold because my nerves have not really come back. ...although there are folks who will say I am really nervy!
    tls

    ReplyDelete