Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fair Warning: Controversial Subject Matter

   This post started out as part of a collection of random thoughts, and took on a life of its own. This is the subject I mentioned in an earlier post, the one I was having trouble with. If you read further, Please keep in mind that these are my own opinions. I am not faulting anyone for how they live their life.

    Question: Could vegetarianism cause one to become mentally unbalanced? Obviously this doesn't happen to all people who choose this lifestyle; I see you, put down the baseball bats. I know one person who is a Vegan, what I call the militant kind, even if they might not be. She is so different since she went Vegan! She seems to have boundless energy now, it makes me tired just talking to her. Obviously, it's working for her. And I'm happy for her. She has answered my questions about the lifestyle clearly, and I get it, I do. It's just not natural, if you will pardon the pun.

    Our species evolved as hunters who ate meat to survive. We also ate vegetables and grains, sure. But we started out on meat. The other stuff came later. I hate to be the one to break it to the vegetarian/Vegan people, but animals are not our equals. We have been placed higher on the food chain. That is just how it is, a fact of life on this planet.

    Another thing that really bothers me is the way that animals are humanized, by such organizations as the SPCA. I am not an inhuman monster, I think people who abuse animals should be punished, but that being said, animals don't have the emotional capacity to feel the things that their commercials make you think they do. Animals are very realistic, they live totally in the now. They accept how things are, they are not dreaming of a better life, no matter how hard these organizations push the sad puppy-face pictures. PUT DOWN THE BASEBALL BATS! These animals, all animals, deserve a happy home, with nice people to take care of them.

   I just wish that humans were a priority. When there are no more children being abused, or wives being beaten, and no more kids in foster care or group homes, then, THEN, we can worry about the animals. I might sound harsh, and I don't mean to sound heartless. I am not. We had a rescued Greyhound for many years, and loved her dearly until her death.

   On a similar note, why do some people who do good things, have to go around announcing to everyone that they do good things? And how wonderful they are? Is there a point system I don't know about? Are they going to get into their idea of heaven this way? What I do is private. I am not looking for anyone's approval. If I wanted everyone to know about it, I would tell them. Or there would be a master list somewhere we could all look at and see who is doing "good works" and where they are doing it.

   OK, I think I'm done. Would someone help me down off my soapbox, please? And not announce it to the whole world?

No comments:

Post a Comment